Update: Scouting’s Journey to Excellence to Replace Centennial Quality Recognition Program

Post Updated with links to the requirements on National’s websites (most up to date version), Ship Requirements, and recordings of the Webinars.

Scouting’s Journey to Excellence is the new performance recognition program for Councils, Districts, and Units.  This program replaces the Centennial Quality Recognition program.  The BSA Journey to Excellence program uses a balanced approach and key performance indicators to measure performance versus process, encourage and reward success, and achieve the mission.

Information on Scouting’s Journey to Excellence on the National Website:

Here are the 2011 Journey to Excellence Requirements:

– Journey to Excellence Criteria – Packs

– Journey to Excellence Criteria – Troops

– Journey to Excellence Criteria – Crews

Journey to Excellence Criteria – Ships

– Journey to Excellence Criteria – Districts

– Journey to Excellence Criteria – Councils

Performance measures already being considered for inclusion in the 2012 council performance recognition program will involve collecting feedback and improved scores on customer satisfaction surveys sent to parents, youth members, and charter partners.

Journey to Excellence Unit / District Webinars
In order to assist with the rollout of Scouting’s Journey to Excellence program, the BSA Mission Impact Department hosted a series of webinars intended for District and Unit level volunteers. Here are the links to the recorded webinars:
>Council Webinar
>District Webinar
>Crew Webinar
>Troop Webinar
Pack Webinar

Related Posts

Comments

I like the fact that the quality unit recognition program is NOT choose your own adventure… at first glance the Journey to Excellence program seems a tad more confusing than it needs to be. Time will tell.

By Dan on October 10th, 2010 at 10:22 pm

It’s definitely confusing at first, but I think it’s an improvement over the Centennial Quality Award. Great to see that they have so many webinars scheduled to help explain.

Any idea if the patch will still say “Quality Unit?”

By Gregg on October 11th, 2010 at 7:25 am

I can’t wait to unleash…I mean, inform our Scout Leaders that they have failed to deliver the Scouting Program correctly as they don’t even qualify for Bronze level requirements on any of the items listed!!!

This is AWESOME!!!

By Aaron on October 11th, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Maybe it will say “A Most Excellent Unit”

By Allen on October 11th, 2010 at 6:23 pm

Here we go a new change, we just figured out how to do the last ones. I hope they come out with a good patch, something that a troop can look forward to.

By Ernie on October 12th, 2010 at 12:23 am

@Gregg – I’ve been trying to reach out to a few people I know about the patch… so far no luck.

By Dan on October 12th, 2010 at 9:48 am

Does not look like this belongs to Sea Scout Ship (we are not a Pack, Troop, or a Crew). Maybe we can go back to the more traditional Sea Scout Unit Award.

By Warren on October 13th, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Could we at least run the “official” form past a grammar checker? When you have more than one court of honor, you have multiple courts of honor (not “court of honors”)! While it’s not used here, the same is true for boards of review. It’s like “courts-martial” and “attorneys general.”

By Ken Davidson on October 14th, 2010 at 9:05 pm

Like it better than the old CQU. Sea Scouts and Varsity Teams both are left out. i agree on the spelling. Needs to be MANUAL proofers before they go to print. Auto checkers do not do it. It is embarrassing to see such errors, but then we see them a lot these days.

By John Raines on October 19th, 2010 at 5:55 pm

I was contacted by a member of National Boy Scouts of America’s Council Operations Group and asked to update the Journey to Excellence Criteria in this post to a newer version. I have complied. Upon asking, I was told they should be on Scouting.org within days. When I find them on an official National website I will link to the documents there to ensure the most up to date version.

Sorry, they didn’t fix the Courts of Honor…

It is my understanding criteria for Ships and Teams are in the works.

By Dan on October 21st, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Two things I noticed, off the bat:

– No criteria for Varsity Teams (what else is new?)
– reinforcement of award “heirarchy” = Bronze, Silver, Gold which is not consistent with the award “heirarchy” in Venturing = Bronze, Gold, Silver. It’s nitpicky, but there it is.

By Marc on October 22nd, 2010 at 2:47 pm

I registered for tonights webinar a week ago and received an email confirmation. I kept expecting another email with instructions to log in, but nothing…Anybody find out where to log in?

By Jay on October 22nd, 2010 at 5:42 pm

Marc: I asked this question last weekend at a regional leadership conference. The Varsity requirements are rolled into the Boy Scout Troop requirements because there’s a good chance that Varsity Scouting will be history in a few years unless more emphasis from the field occurs.

The Award scheme — Bronze, Silver, Gold — is in line with Olympic and most corporate award schemes. The reason why we in the BSA use “gold silver” instead of “silver gold” is simply because of tradition: our senior awards are all “silver” as well as the Eagle and the Silver Award being both silver… that’s all…

Hope this helps. As I find out what the actual design will be — and in what form — I’ll post it to the Badge and Uniform Site (http://www.scoutinsignia.com)

Settummanque!

By Mike Walton (settummanque) on November 15th, 2010 at 11:44 pm

I would like to see some more support documentation to help clarify these goals. There are quite a few areas of interpretation For instance on requirement #9 the Bronze level requires joint meetings with a Webelo den but the silver and gold levels dont specify (I assume they want you to meet the Bronze level requirements and the silver/gold things are incremental requirements). It seems like they are trying to pack in too much info into too small a space – there should be a supplementary definition document for those that miss the webinars.

Also it would be nice to get this in a word document so we can put this in a tracking document that the troop can use during the year.

By jeff mchenry on November 15th, 2010 at 11:46 pm

Additionally: Sea Scouting is NOT left out; there is a worksheet for Ships; I have it and will be happy to share it with those who desire it…just contact me off-net at settummanque@yahoo.com

Aaron, the goal is NOT to ‘dime out’ units — but to HELP THEM MEET THE BRONZE requirements….they have a year to do it in…

I caught several spelling errors and have reported them during the Regional meeting…so hopefully they will revise the sheets with the correct spellings…

Hope this helps!

Settummanque!

By Mike Walton (settummanque) on November 15th, 2010 at 11:48 pm

Note on the Boy Scout Troop criteria line #3 it says you must have 14 boys or more. what about the small troops that normally have only 10 Boy Scouts I have heard that they are planning of closing them down and combining them with other bigger units. has anyone else heard this?

By Tim on November 26th, 2010 at 10:26 pm

A number of requireements are badly worded or ill considered.

For example, a troop of all Eagles can’t possibly meet requirement 1 at the bronze level. I would suggest that boys who had already attained Eagle not be considered in the divisor (B).

“Earn the Bronze award, plus earn 1,600 points” literally means that you would have to earn a total of 2300 points (out of a maximum possible of 2500.) Why not just say what you mean, i.e. “Complete 11 of 13 Bronze requirements, plus earn 1,600 points….”

When will the website be set up to allow the logging required for item 8?

By John on December 2nd, 2010 at 4:06 pm

John, won’t an eagle palm count as advancement? I would.

The point requirement at the bottom is confusing. I guess that we’ll figure it out when doing our mid-year assessment.

Tim, #3 says 14 or more OR gain one scout (for a net gain of one). BSA says that you need 5 scouts to remain active. It’s not the end of the world if you don’t get Bronze in that catagory.

By Tom on February 9th, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Search in the site

DISCLAMER:
Scoutingnews.org It is not officially affiliated with the Boy Scouts of America, the Girl Scouts of the USA or the World Organization of Scout Movements.