As we stated in Historic Merit Badge Program A Go (for real this time!), we are going to be taking an in-depth look at each of the four Historic Merit Badges in the next few days. First up was Carpentry Merit Badge, then Signaling Merit Badge, then Tracking Merit Badge, and finally Pathfinding Merit Badge!
Pathfinding Merit Badge was first offered in 1911, and was discontinued in 1952.
Original Pathfinding Merit Badge Book:
New Information for Pathfinding Merit Badge:
Pathfinding Merit Badge Requirements:
- In the country, know every lane, bypath, and short cut for a distance of at least two miles in every direction around the local scout headquarters; or in a city, have a general knowledge of the district within a three-mile radius of the local scout headquarters, so as to be able to guide people at any time, by day or by night.
- Know the population of the five principal neighboring towns, their general direction from his scout headquarters, and be able to give strangers correct directions how to reach them.
- If in the country, know in a two mile radius, the approximate number of horses, cattle, sheep, and pigs owned on the five neighboring farms; or, in a town, know, in a half-mile radius, the location of livery stables, garages and blacksmith shops.
- Know the location of the nearest meat markets, bakeries, groceries, and drug stores.
- Know the location of the the nearest police station, hospital, doctor, fire alarm, fire hydrant, telegraph and telephone offices, and railroad stations.
- Know something of the history of his place; and know the location of its principal public buildings, such as the town or city hall, post-office, schools and churches.
- Submit a map not necessarily drawn by himself upon which he personally has indicated as much as possible of the above information.
Related Current Merit Badges:
- Emergency Preparedness Merit Badge
- American Heritage
This historical merit badge will only be available during the 100th Anniversary year of Scouting. The Pathfinding merit badge counts toward rank advancement. Requirements must be completed by Dec. 31, 2010.